Makesure takes its obligations under the Privacy Act seriously and will take all reasonable steps in order to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and protect the privacy of the personal information that we hold. This policy sets out how we intend to do so. The Policy applies to persons who submit their details to Makesure for the purpose of background checking on theirs or our clients’ behalf.
The Personal Information we hold.
Makesure collects information which is essential to the requirements of the checks. The information we collect includes but is not limited to:
Current and past work history
Credit card or other payment details
Licences and operator permits
Passports and other identification
Credit history information
Personal information can also include any information or an opinion of an applicant (whether that data be true or not) and “sensitive” information. Sensitive information can include information or an opinion regarding the information we collected through applications and consent you submit to use as well as contact of people and agencies who may hold (or be in the public domain) information about you. We will alwas ask your consent to carry out the checks and obtain the information only by lawful and fair means.
Why do we need this information?
As part of the process of carrying out checks based on the information provided by you enables us to carry out the requested checks whether by yourself or our clients (with your permission).
When will my personal information be used and disclosed?
Your personal information may be used in connection with:
- any test or assessment, check, or history request by or of you with your consent (including medical tests and assessments) or that you might be required to undergo;
- our management of any business risks, investigation, resolution and defence of complaints and legal claims, compliance with court orders and other legal obligations and regulatory requirements;
- any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal information;
- to tell you about other services that we may provide.
We will disclose it to:
- potential or actual employers you allow us to and clients of Makesure to whom we provide services for yourself.
- Your referees;
- our contractors, suppliers, sub-contractors and vendors whom perform services on our behalf – whom hold similar privacy policies
- any person with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information.
Makesure will not disclose information which identifies you to anyone else without your consent, except:
- Where it is required by overseas authorities (in the event of an International Police Check required) or the law, such as for law enforcement purposes or where there is a threat to a person’s safety;
If you do not give us the information we seek
You have the right to use a pseudonym or to not identify yourself but we may not be able to effectively process the information you provide to us to carry out your or our clients’ requests.
You can gain access to your information to correct it if it is wrong. Subject to some exceptions which are set out in APP 12 & 13 (Access to and correction of personal information), you have a right to see and have a copy of personal information about you that we hold. Makesure can be contacted through the information at the bottom of this policy.
If you are able to establish that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If we are unable to agree that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date, you may ask us to place with the information a statement by you that claims that particular information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If you wish to exercise your rights of access and correction, please contact us using the details listed below.
How will Makesure keep my information safe?
Your information will be stored on a secure database which has restricted access to only those personnel of Makesure that require access to this information. Access to the Makesure computer environment is through a secure login environment and all efforts have been made to ensure that it cannot be accessed by unauthorised personnel.
At any time at your request, we will destroy your personal information. We will do this for any lawful request. As part of our services we will only keep any checked information for a period of three months and it will then be destroyed. Forms submitted to carry out checks are audited by some of our suppliers and these will be held in line with these agencies policies (e.g. Crimtrac). Any payment details such as credit card details will be destroyed securely upon a successful transaction.